Just a quick one. The notion of “Typical Coventry” was raised by Joey in this week’s Nii Lamptey Show. We use it all the time and regularly accept it as having a basis of truth.
That prompted me into the fairly futile exercise of listing as many items of “typical Coventry” behaviour as I could identify – if only to demonstrate how spurious a concept it really is.
Turns out though, the more I look at the list, the more it actually starts to make sense.
- Never win anything
- Never challenge to win anything
- Never finish in the top half
- Get your hopes up, only to bugger it all up
- Win consecutive games, only to lose consecutive games
- Play badly away from home
- Play badly at home
- Struggle in front of a big crowd
- Raise our game in front of a big crowd
- Score early then sit back
- Concede early then sit back
- Pass backwards too often
- Throw aimless balls forward too often
- Never score from a corner
- Always concede from a corner
- Sell our best players for sod all
- Score in the last minute only to concede immediately afterwards
- Give away sloppy penalties
- Capitulate in March
- Always turn up for the big games
- Never turn up for the big games
- Climb into the play-offs, only to go on a losing run
- Get to within a point of the play-offs, only to lose the next game
- Lose against a shit team, only to beat a good one the next week
- Beat top of the league, only to lose against a shit team the next week
- Go on extended losing runs
- Never “kick on”.